Thursday 21 November 2013

Why Psychology?

The first reason I had to study psychology was that I always advised my friends and advices help them with their problems or worries. So I thought "I could to be a good psychologist". Then I started to be interested in the human mind: how do people make decisions? How do they form their beliefs? Why do people join with others? etc., and I thought that Psychology will give me the answer. This last point was the decisive reason to apply to Psychology. So I think my motivation is at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs haha.

Actually I feel completely satisfied with my career, because despite it have not answered all my questions about human mind, it have given me the arms to answer them by myself. There are many theories to analyze the human mind or human behavior: behaviorism, psychoanalysis, developmental psychology, psychology of personality, between others. But the one I like most of all is social psychology, because it places the person in relation with others and explains the human behavior from that position, and it makes me sense because we live all our life in contact with others, we are insert in a society. 

Respect to practical applications of psychology, I think that it can be applied to every aspect of the life, so it can to be any other discipline, since education until engineering or economy. I personally want to work in Human Rights from critical social psychology and I like educational and community psychology too. The good thing is that these applications of psychology are very compatibles! :)


1 comment: